Re: Non-alphabetic Characters

Subject: Re: Non-alphabetic Characters
From: Susan Gallagher <Susan_Gallagher_at_Enfin-SD -at- RELAY -dot- PROTEON -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1993 17:22:00 EST

Alun Whittaker writes:

<snip>
>What about the symbol which in writing I always refer to as "the
>insertion point"? I don't really like that name because the
>"insertion point" is not really *what* it is be *where* it is.

>In my speech (usually) and thoughts (always) it continues to
>be the "I-beam" but that name seems to lack the seal of
>propriety.

I know... I hate that! It's only the I-beam when you're
moving it around with the mouse. Once it lands, it becomes
a sort-of sans serif I-beam. But the term "insertion point"
is soooooo looooong and hard to read! Makes you yearn for
the good old days of the blinking cursor.

Does anybody still call it a cursor (when doc'ing a gui,
that is)?

And to stray from the point (insertion or not)...

Does anybody know of a true-type font that has an I-beam
character (or an I that really looks like an I-beam??? (Not
that I look like an I-beam but once in a while I eye-beam, I
just must be careful not to let my eye I-beam =-o ).

Sue Gallagher |
Sr. Technical Writer | "Updating a manual
Easel Corporation | is like changing tires
Enfin Technology Lab | on a moving car."
San Diego, CA | -- Edmond Weiss
Susan_Gallagher_at_Enfin-SD -at- relay -dot- proteon -dot- com |