Reading every post? (was Why so tense?)

Subject: Reading every post? (was Why so tense?)
From: Steve Fouts <sfouts -at- ELLISON -dot- SC -dot- TI -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1993 09:01:06 CST

Bonni Graham is widely rumored to have written the following:

|}
|} BTW (it's peripherally related), why do we (and I'm including myself) feel
|} compelled to read every message sent?
|}

I don't. I monitor about twenty groups on a wide range of topics on Usenet,
plus this one as mail reflected bitnet. There can be hundreds of messages
per day posted to some of these forums. I skim the subject lines for topics
that interest me (or new topics) and I trash the rest.

Even if this were the only group that I monitored, I wouldn't read every
post. I wouldn't read most of the posts. There is only one group that I
read every single post, and that is alt.quotations. Two reasons; most posts
are very short (sound bite me!), and even an off topic quoter might have a
gem buried in their .signature.

Hey, don't flip around. We'll be right back.

* _ ___ * sfouts -at- ellison -dot- sc -dot- ti -dot- com
* _ /\ |\ _ * "There's too many flames, and so much to burn,
* / / \ _| \ \ * and life's only made of paper."
* ( * ) \/_|__* ) * --Ronald Padivona
* \_/ _/ \_/ * <Boilerplate disclaimer here>