Re: Multimedia course offerings

Subject: Re: Multimedia course offerings
From: Kathy Barreto <barreto -at- DREGGS -dot- CISCO -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1993 16:13:46 MST

Charles Sides writes:
" ...having students take 50% of their courses in standard television
production negates the possibility of adding courses in computer
animation... "

Charles,
I'm one of the 10-year veterans of tech writing, and have been dabbling in
multimedia already. I work with a volunteer public access t.v. production
company when time allows.

The studio work must give students a good foundation for the subsequent
video work, but we have to remember that NTSC is no longer the only
broadcast-quality medium. We tend to think of "multimedia" as "video"
because that's the fun stuff, but online documentation, interactive
learning tools, and lots of other non-video products also fall under
the multimedia umbrella. Had *I* the choice, I'd like to see the t.v.
courses offered as a set of electives for a multimedia degree with an
emphasis on t.v. production. Other areas of emphasis might be training
or educational tools, usability implementation, music, etc.

Sure makes me yearn for the time and energy to be a full-time student!
kathyB

| |
Kathy Barreto ||| ||| Sr. Technical Writer
barreto -at- cisco -dot- com |||||||||||||| Cisco Systems, Inc.