Re[2]: page numbering -- internal references

Subject: Re[2]: page numbering -- internal references
From: Bonni Graham <Bonni_Graham_at_Enfin-SD -at- RELAY -dot- PROTEON -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1993 09:55:00 EST

>>From: LaVonna Funkhouser <lffunkhouser -at- HALNET -dot- COM>
>>Subject: page numbering -- internal references
>snip>
>>Whenever a page number is changed, you have to be careful of internal
>>refereces (See page 5-8) being correct. Although software will often
>>update the TOC and index, internal references probably have to be
>>updated by the writer.
><snip>
>>If you have software that will update internal references or if you
>>know of a way to do this in Pagemaker 5.0/win (what I use), please
>>speak up.

>We use Interleaf 5, which has a nifty autonumbering feature with the
>special added bonus of being able to make an autonumber stream invisible.
>Writers can create "references" to any autonumber, visible even when the
>autonumber isn't. Any reference can be toggled between the reference value
>or the page on which the referenced autonumber appears. So we create
>invisible autonumbers all over the place in our manuals, and refer to them
>elsewhere by page number ("Blah is explained on page X"). Then, wherever the
>autonumber instance appears after who-knows-how-many revisions, all the
>references to it show the correct page number.

BTW, Ventura does this too -- but it won't include the chapter number (at least
Version 4.1 won't -- is there a newer version?). So it works great unless you
move something to a different chapter. Although if you do that, you're probably
making other drastic changes and want to check all your cross-references
anyway...

Bonni Graham |
Technical Writer |
Easel Corporation, ENFIN Technology Lab |
Bonni_Graham_at_Enfin-SD -at- relay -dot- proteon -dot- com | flush, v. Align type to the
President, San Diego STC | left or right, thereby
| beating a pair of aces
NOTE: apparently my email address needs |
to be typed exactly as it appears here, | --Ezra Shapiro
punctuation and all, or the system gets |
upset. |