Re: Usability -- page numbering

Subject: Re: Usability -- page numbering
From: Kelly Hoffman <kelly -at- NASHUA -dot- HP -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1993 17:57:21 EST

"Elliott C. Evans" <evans -at- ANSOFT -dot- COM> writes:

> If you add several pages in, say, Chapter 2 of the manual, then the
> page numbering of Chapter 2 is the only set that changes. Chapter 3
> still starts on page 3-1.

Right, I got that. Why does this really make revision any easier?
Unless you have to resolve cross references by hand or somesuch.
Have I just been completely spoiled by the electronic age? :-) :-)

In fact, if you have changes scattered throughout the doc, I would
think compound numbering would make things more difficult -- that is,
if you're keeping track of exactly what's changed and not just rerunning
the entire thing. (And, if you're rerunning the entire thing, there's
no advantage, right?)

The real question, I think, is what do *readers* find easier to use, if
anything. If I'm not mistaken, that was the original question.

> I support chapterized page numbering for several reasons:

> *

Is that a wildcard? :-) Seriously, this is all that arrived here...

kkh
Kelly K. Hoffman kelly -at- nashua -dot- hp -dot- com
Learning Products Engineer
Hewlett-Packard, Network Test Division "Reading the manual is
One Tara Blvd., Nashua, NH 03062 admitting defeat."