Re: Technical Writing vs Knowledge

Subject: Re: Technical Writing vs Knowledge
From: Len Olszewski <saslpo -at- UNX -dot- SAS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1993 09:58:23 -0500

My own view is that this is a very polarizing discussion. I think the
premise is incorrectly framed, and the information resulting from the
discussion is less than useful.

Kudos to those who feel that every individual is a package of different
strengths and weaknesses. A technical writer must have strong writing
skills strong technical skills - rarely will you find a writer with
equal strengths in both areas. The ability to learn quickly, cited by
some in reply to the original question, must also be a strength.

As to which strength "should" be primary, I think that a writer should
apply all strengths to all writing. Writers will use different styles
to accomplish their work depending on their relative strengths. As Stan
Kenton once said "Every style is the result of a handicap".

Which is more important? The answer is "That's the wrong question".

|Len Olszewski, Technical Writer | "Truth does not stick to glossy |
|saslpo -at- unx -dot- sas -dot- com|Cary, NC, USA| paper." - William Horton |
| Opinions this ludicrous are mine. Reasonable opinions will cost you.|