Re: typefaces

Subject: Re: typefaces
From: Deborah Adair <Deborah_Adair -at- TALIGENT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1993 12:55:06 -0800

Reply to: RE>>typefaces
>>Those who purport to know also say that the serifs help create a
>>horizontal line that helps you track across the text better.

They also say that mileage may vary depending on your audience. For highly
technical types (especially engineers), some studies show that they read sans
serif type as easily as serif. One theory was that engineers are very familiar
with block lettering because that's what they're taught to use in their
drafting courses-ever notice when engineers start scribbling on napkins, they
all write the same? ;-) If I remember right, the studies also showed that with
the newer type families, in general there wasn't as great a difference in
readability between serif and sans serif.

At any rate, it lends support to making typography decisions based on your
audience...

deborah
deborah_adair -at- taligent -dot- com