Re: Contract rates

Subject: Re: Contract rates
From: Len Olszewski <saslpo -at- UNX -dot- SAS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1993 16:46:54 -0500

Kelly Hoffman on how to charge for your contracting time:

> When you're earning a flat rate (rather than an hourly wage), the IRS is
> apparently more willing to believe you're a contracter or a consultant,
> not a company employee... Or so I've been told; your mileage may vary. :-)
> This would be another reason for a company to prefer a flat rate.

Back in the days when I was a consultant, I always bid flat rate. Be
sure to define your deliverables very well in a signed contract attached
to your proposal. The key words you should remember - "repeat business",
and "follow-on work". Keep your clients happy; the second and third
contracts are a lot more profitable than the first, not the least reason
being you have no promotional expenses, and a much smaller startup.

|Len Olszewski, Technical Writer |"Never give anything a name that you|
|saslpo -at- unx -dot- sas -dot- com|Cary, NC, USA|might have to eat." -Klingon Proverb|
| Opinions this ludicrous are mine. Reasonable opinions will cost you.|