Re[5]: Responsible use of Obviously

Subject: Re[5]: Responsible use of Obviously
From: Bonni Graham <Bonni_Graham_at_Enfin-SD -at- RELAY -dot- PROTEON -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1993 10:16:00 EST

Jane writes:
***
1. Select File > Open .... First part of a step
has the action a user
should take

The Open File dialog box appears, as Effect of that action
illustrated in Figure 1. or feedback to user
appears in the second
part of a step

The figure numbers sit at the end of "mini-paragraphs" (as illustrated above!).
***

I work with Jane, but on a vastly different product. I use a colon to
point to the figure:

1. Select <some menu action here>. This accesses the <name of dialog
or window>:

| <picture of dialog or window>

Figure X: The <name of dialog or window> <with special circumstances,
if applicable> F1 (to indicate that specific field-sensitive help is
availabe for this screen).

I've used this format in other manuals as well, and it seems to work
pretty well. It avoids forward-referencing (if I have to refer back,
I use a standard SEE <figure #> reference), and forces me to put the
picture of what I'm talking about close to what I'm talking about
(i.e., making it more accessible to both skimmers and readers, I
hope). The text phrasing before the picture makes the step
consequence-based (if you do this, this happens), which seems to be
comforting to the reader.

Bonni Graham
Bonni_Graham_at_Enfin-SD -at- relay -dot- proteon -dot- com
Easel Corporation, Enfin Technology Lab
President, SDSTC