Re: indexing ???

Subject: Re: indexing ???
From: Lori Lathrop <lathropl -at- DNS -dot- IRM -dot- R9 -dot- FWS -dot- GOV>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1993 10:55:48 MDT

Dickie Selfe writes:

> Don't most page-layout programs have indexing functions within them? What
> do the indexing programs mentioned (Cindex--which platform?, Macrex) offer
> that PageMaker, Frame, Quark Exp. don't have already?

When I create back-of-the-book indexes for publishing houses, I work from
the galleys or a copy of the manuscript; the publisher does not provide a
soft copy. That's why I (and most professional indexers) use stand-alone
indexing software, such as Cindex or Macrex. BTW, they both require DOS.

Basically, stand-alone indexing software alphabetizes entries, inverts
entries, and allows the indexer to generate entries with macros that require
fewer keystrokes. Most indexing programs have "global" features that allow
the indexer to replace, search, or modify entries.

Lori Lathrop
Lathrop Media Services
Georgetown, CO
INTERNET:76620 -dot- 456 -at- compuserve -dot- com
or lathropl -at- mail -dot- fws -dot- gov