Re[2]: What and Why (was Nazi Rhetoric)

Subject: Re[2]: What and Why (was Nazi Rhetoric)
From: Jane Torpie <Jane_Torpie_at_III-HQ -at- RELAY -dot- PROTEON -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1993 14:59:00 EST

Stuart Selber writes:

>I guess I'm concerned about those feelings of powerlessness many
>communicators have in their corporations. And I'm afraid that when we
>start focusing so heavily on day-to-day work that we ignore, are
>unwilling, or can't discuss the humanistic issues *directly* relating to
>the work of technical communication, we're making a bad trade.

Stuart ... I'm the posting person. If I may clarify ...

Yes, this feeling of powerlessness is a very serious issue, but it needn't
be debilitating. Sometimes we don't have the choice to do much more than
focus on more than day-to-day work. (Ahh, if I could paint you a picture
of my office over the last few months!) But even when we can't focus as
much as we'd like on humanistic issues that really do affect our doc, we
can still try to make small changes. It's not the perfect world, but it's
a good compromise, and it's better than nothing. Yes, even one writer at
the bottom of the org. chart can make a difference.

Jane Torpie
Sr. Software Technical Writer
Easel Corp.
(opinions are my own)