Grammar & Style Checkers

Subject: Grammar & Style Checkers
From: Anatole Wilson <awilson -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1993 15:36:44 PDT

I agree that grammar checkers are no substitute for knowing what you're doing.
I use Grammatik to check for the stupid little errors I make and miss in
proofreading. It just makes me think a little more about what I'm writing
and how I'm writing it.

As for judging a program by the number of wrong calls it makes--in programs
like Grammatik (and I don't know too much about any other program), a lot of
those calls are controllable. I would judge a grammar/style checker more on
how easy it is to customize, since that will greatly affect the number of
bad calls it makes.

Anatole Wilson
Sr. Assoc. Information Developer
IBM, Santa Teresa Labs