What's an end-user tool manual?

Subject: What's an end-user tool manual?
From: Chuck Banks <chuck -at- ASL -dot- DL -dot- NEC -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1993 13:27:34 CDT

Thomas,

One answer is that some software packages are called tools or contain
sets of programs called tools. I haven't seen a formal definition of the
term. Most tools at NECAM are small applications that perform a particular
task. For instance, we have a tool that maintains a library of design
documents. The tool enables users to store, locate, scan, read, and
replace software product design documents. The tool will not scan or
display just any file, just those files created by applications known
to the tool and stored by the tool.

For us, an end-user tool manual is the user documentation that
details how to use the tool.

I hope this helps.

Chuck Banks
--
|\\ | || // Chuck Banks
| \\ | ||_______ || Senior Technical Writer
| \\ | || || NEC America, Inc.
| \\| \\______ \\______ E-Mail: chuck -at- asl -dot- dl -dot- nec -dot- com
America, Incorporated CompuServe: 72520,411