SGML - Tell me about it.

Subject: SGML - Tell me about it.
From: Thomas Krueger <tjk -at- CSD4 -dot- CSD -dot- UWM -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1993 18:12:33 GMT

I would like some information about this new wunderkind, SGML. In the STC
Journal, there were a lot of articles on it, and some sample code. I was
shocked, amazed, incredulous to find so many articles commenting on how new
and exciting and wonderful this thing is... when all it is, as far as I can
tell, is a rehash of roff and LaTeX, in various ways. Does anyone have
experience with it, and with roff or LaTeX, and can tell me if that's so?
Here I am, fresh out of college, looking diligently for my first writing
job, and I want to make sure I have the skills I need. So, If you could,
please tell me:

* What documentation exists for SGML?

* What does it currently run on?

* Who is currently supporting it?

* Why did all those writers in the Journal wax so enthusiastically about
it when people have been formatting their text in that general method
since the mid-70s? (roff is from circa 1977, I believe.)

Advice, of course, is welcome.

- Tom
--

Thomas Krueger UW-Milwaukee Engineering Electronics Shop
tjk -at- csd4 -dot- csd -dot- uwm -dot- edu +1 (414) 229-5172