Re: Simple question and/or

Subject: Re: Simple question and/or
From: Steve Fouts <sfouts -at- ELLISON -dot- SC -dot- TI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1993 15:12:03 CDT

|}
|} Hi All,
|}
|} >Okay, it's early in the day and my brain is failing so I'm writing for help.
|} >I've got this sentence: With FTP you can transmit ASCII and binary files.
|} >An editor changed the "and" to "or"? So???
|}
|} No damn difference that I can see. It sounds like an introductory sentence
|} anyway, so any confusion could be easily dispelled later. Frankly, I don't
|} see any problem.
|}
|} -John Sanders-

My initial reaction too, John, but technically, FTP will transmit in ASCII,
(seven bit) OR binary (eight bit), but not, as the other conjunction may
tend to imply, both at the same time. In fact, to be painfully (and anal
retentively) correct, you can transmit files in ASCII or binary modes.

ASCII mode transmits said file about 12% faster because it is free to trash
every eighth bit. You can transmit an ASCII file in binary mode. It is a
waste of bandwidth, but it works. Tomorrow we'll talk about the difference
between the file transfer protocol (ftp) and the program that transfers
files using the protocol (ftp). Should be lively.

* _ ___ * sfouts -at- ellison -dot- sc -dot- ti -dot- com
* _ /\ |\ _ * A man may truly live in his dreams, his noblest dreams,
* / / \ _| \ \ * but only, ONLY if he is worthy of those dreams.
* ( * ) \/_|__* ) * --Harlan Ellison
* \_/ _/ \_/ * <Boilerplate disclaimer here>