Recommended Applications

Subject: Recommended Applications
From: Steve Fouts <sfouts -at- ELLISON -dot- SC -dot- TI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1993 10:26:59 CDT

Am I getting this straight? Is John Sanders going to buy a software system
based on a popularity vote? Oh my. To buy some new laser printers, we did
a survey of all of the people in the department to determine which items
of printer performance were the most important to the way people worked. From
that we developed a list of minimum criteria that the printers had to exhibit.
We used this to narrow down the field to four choices and had each of the
four vendors demo each of the printers for us before we made our final decision.

With something as integral to your performance as software, workstations, and
day in -- day out peripherals like printers, you shouldn't be for foolin' around
with a popularity vote! Especially with a group as statistically skewed as this
one

FrameMaker is a good package, don't get me wrong. But what if there is one that
is better for you; one written especially for whatever little niche you happen
to be in. What if it would make you 25% more productive and 15% happier. Don't
you owe yourself (and your employer) that one?

And six months from now when the executive assistant to the Head Cheese says,
"Why didn't you get WizzyWig6 for Q-Windows? All my guys have it on their
laptops,"
you look a whole lot more professional if you say, "I evaluated that one and
found that its automatic full service indexing and coffee grinding routine was
a too hard to use," than if you say, "nobody voted for it."

Geeze! FYI, I use Interleaf and there are things that I do day in and day out
that Frame don't. <-- Period. But! I am not going to tell you that it will
work well for you in your situation. I don't know that. Chances are that you
don't either. But you should. Gee Whiz!

* _ ___ * sfouts -at- ellison -dot- sc -dot- ti -dot- com
* _ /\ |\ _ * "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend
* / / \ _| \ \ * in vain." -Schiller
* \_/ _/ \_/ * <Boilerplate disclaimer here>