Re: Edward Abbey

Subject: Re: Edward Abbey
From: Joan Stout <sasjcs -at- UNX -dot- SAS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1993 13:02:31 -0500

> On Tue, 14 Sep 1993, Joan Stout wrote:

> > <-------------------------------------------------------------------->
> > | Joan Stout | "I worked as a technical writer...editing |
> > | Freelance Indexer | manuals...on how to dispose of sewage in |
> > | Technical Writer | permafrost; we all had to wear white shirts |
> > | sasjcs -at- unx -dot- sas -dot- com | - that was mandatory - and I was fired at |
> > | SAS Institute, Inc. | the end of two weeks for spending too much |
> > | Cary, NC | time staring out the window." (Edward Abbey) |
> > <-------------------------------------------------------------------->

> Joan, who is Edward Abbey? That's a wonderful tag.

> Robert Bononno

Edward Abbey, the late, great radical environmentalist/naturalist
called himself an "agrarian anarchist." He was a champion of the
American West and believed it should remain in its natural state
as much as possible. He wrote a lot of books, both fiction and
nonfiction. _Desert Solitaire_ and _Down the River_ are two of
favorite nonfiction books. _The Monkeywrench Gang_ is my favorite
fiction book. He died in 1989 at the age of 62. I'm sorry I can't
tell you which book the quote comes from - I've long since forgotten -
but I'm glad you liked it!

Joan
sasjcs -at- unx -dot- sas -dot- com