Re: Conference Justification

Subject: Re: Conference Justification
From: Faith Weber <weber -at- EASI -dot- ENET -dot- DEC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1993 11:28:14 PDT

Hi Kat,

The best justification, I think, is that in a lot of cases attending
a conference is an *inexpensive* way of getting a tremendous amount
of information. If you and your coworker had to take individual
classes on the same topics that will be addressed at the conference,
how much would that cost? In a lot of cases just one class would
cost as much as (or more than) the whole conference. Of course, travel
costs can weaken this argument, but you might have to travel to
attend the class you need, too.

I guess it depends how important it is to your company that you
gain this knowledge. It sounds like this conference is relevant
to your current project, so presumably it will enhance your ability
to deliver the best possible results. Another approach you might take
is that at the conference, you might learn ways to save time and
money on this and future online projects.

Though it may sound funny, I generally try to convince people that
it will cost us more (in time and effort wasted learning things "the
hard way") if I *don't* attend a class or conference than if I do.
In a lot of cases, it's true.

Faith