Re: Should STC be on this list? Yes.

Subject: Re: Should STC be on this list? Yes.
From: Chuck Banks <chuck -at- ASL -dot- DL -dot- NEC -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1993 16:52:07 CDT

Jack,

Yes, I support such a rate for academic members. Better, I think
would be academic rates for travel and lodging. If such rates aren't
offered, they should be.

After all, just as not every technical writer employed in industry
is head of the documentation department, not every academic is head of
a department or dean of a college.

Regardless, Jack, develop and present a paper whenever you can
get the funding. Not everyone subscribes to the Journal of Technical
Communication. So, even if you publish there, present at a regional
conference or at the ITCC. We in the field need to see the results
of academic research. Just as you need to see the results in the
field to ensure that your courses are relavent to your students'
future employment.

Chuck Banks
--
|\\ | || // Chuck Banks
| \\ | ||_______ || Senior Technical Writer
| \\ | || || NEC America, Inc.
| \\| \\______ \\______ E-Mail: chuck -at- asl -dot- dl -dot- nec -dot- com
America, Incorporated CompuServe: 72520,411