Re: Any FrameMaker & Ventura Experts?

Subject: Re: Any FrameMaker & Ventura Experts?
From: Ken d'Albenas <kendal -at- AUTOTROL -dot- CUC -dot- AB -dot- CA>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1993 20:13:48 MDT

This is a long one, friends. Real long. If you're not interested

in FrameMaker or Ventura Publisher, hit the DELETE button now.

I've received about a dozen requests today for reprints of the old

article written by an ex-PC Ventura user cutting his teeth on

Macintosh FrameMaker. He has kindly given me his permission

to rerun it for techwr-L, so here it is. Some of his problems

were addressed by other contributors in the framers e-mail group,

so I've included them as well for completeness. His current opinion,

a year or so after switching, is... mixed feelings. On one hand, he

has more grumbles that he hasn't assembled into a new list; on the

other hand, he feels that Frame is still better than Ventura overall.

========================= Digression... =============================

BTW:

1. For those interested, you can reach Frame Technical Support by

e-mail at comments -at- frame -dot- com if you have a support contract.

There are also newsgroups for FrameMaker and Interleaf users:

comp.text.frame and comp.text.interleaf

And there's a FrameMaker users' Internet e-mail group:

framers -at- engrg -dot- uwo -dot- ca

2. If you'd like the latest copy of the FrameMaker FAQ (Frequently

Asked Questions), send e-mail to mail-server -at- rtfm -dot- mit -dot- edu with the

following line in the body:

send usenet/news.answers/frame-faq

3. Here's how to subscribe to "framers" (I _think_): send e-mail to

majordomo -at- drd -dot- com, leave "Subject" line blank, and type these three

commands in the Body section:

subscribe framers
info framers
end

(I'm deducing this from the framers list documentation, so of

course it ought to be correct >:->

I joined under an earlier regime, so it's all theoretical to me.)

If any problems, write to majordomo -at- drd -dot- com and the human volunteer

administrator will reply when time permits.

======================== ...End Digression ============================

And now, on to our main feature...

(Reprinted from an earlier posting to comp.text.frame)

==============================

===========================

=================================

> From: kendal -at- autotrol -dot- cuc -dot- ab -dot- ca (Ken d'Albenas)
> From kendal Thu Apr 30 02:33:12 1992
> To: sstark -at- Ingres -dot- COM
> Subject: Re: Framemaker Gripes

> A couple of tips, possibly helpful, possibly old news:

> Re 4 (i): Leave smart quotes on. Train people to use the keystrokes
> that force straight quotes (see Frame documentation).

> Re 4 (l): It's not hard to train people to type the hyphenation-suppres
> keystrokes (Meta-Shift-minus on my platform) at the beginning of
> computerese words like PROGRAM/ESQL. You can also put them in your
> dictionary with hyphenation defined. Myself, I prefer to turn
> these things into variables to prevent typos, and you CAN type
> the hyphenation-suppression keystrokes in a variable. Although
> the symbol doesn't show up in the variable definition box (a small
> nuisance in itself), it does in the document.

> Re 7 (b): The first time a window pops up (dialogue box, character
> format catalogue, confirmation window, etc.), move it where you want
> it to be. From then on, that's where it'll appear for the duration
> of your session or until you move it again. By this method I've been
> able to spare my carpal tunnel during long, repetitive editing
> operations that use one window which generates another needing
> acknowledgment.

Th-th-that's all, folks!

Cheers,

Ken d'Albenas
STC Alberta Chapter
(-::
kendal -at- autotrol -dot- cuc -dot- ab -dot- ca