Dress Code

Subject: Dress Code
From: Daniel Lupo <LUPODJ%PUCAL -dot- BITNET -at- UICVM -dot- UIC -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1993 17:25:37 -0600

Like Barry Maid, I, too, am relatively new to this list, have
been lurking, am an academic, and believe as he does that there
IS a "rhetoric to issues of dress and culture."

The research that I am interested in is how writers learn and
deal with the constraints of the workplace for which they com-
pose. One of the constraints that has been identified is the
physical environment -- location and type of lighting, ergo-
nomic configuration, access to colleagues, cubicle vs. office, etc.
Another constraint of the workplace that affects the writing done
is organizational culture, which includes the policies that both
explicitly and implicitly constrain what and how we write. One
policy we are discussing in this thread is dress code. It is
fascinating to hear/read of all the discomfort, anger, frustra-
tion resulting from these policies. A recent note on this list
spoke of a worker who changed his (I *think* it was a he) work
behavior bears out how organizational culture/policies affect
us writers.

I would be interested to hear about other policies imposed by
your organizations that you feel affects your writing, and in
what way. And you may want to send your thoughts to me directly
or keep this tangent to the dress code thread going publically.

Dan Lupo, Purdue University Calumet
Department of English and Philosophy
Bitnet: LUPODJ -at- PUCAL