Any FrameMaker & Ventura Experts?

Subject: Any FrameMaker & Ventura Experts?
From: Irene Plokar <plokar -at- TOULOUSE -dot- VIRTUALPROTOTYPES -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1993 09:39:07 -0400

We're currently in the process of deciding whether or not to switch from
Ventura Publisher to FrameMaker. Thus, we're looking for some expert users of
FrameMaker who might be willing to answer some questions and offer some opinions
to help us in our decision. Specifically, we're looking for users who are
familiar with both VP and FrameMaker and could perhaps do a comparison of the
two programs.

Our documentation set includes several software manuals, about 1,000 pages in
total. We use lots of tables and graphics (screen snaps), even snaps inserted
within tables. We are considering on-line documentation in the near future.
Thus, we are looking for a DTP program that can easily accommodate these
requirements.

In particular, here are some of the questions that we have:

Indexes - Is a tool provided? Is it easy to use?
Imported Files - can it import graphic files? Any problems, especially .eps?
what about text files?
Filters - Are they expensive? Effective?
File Size - Any limitations on file size? Do you have to split up large files
as we currently do?
Tables - Are they easy to modify? Is spacing within tables a problem? Can you
put graphics within tables? Are there enough attributes available to make
esthetic tables?
Conditional Text - has anyone used it? Successful?
Maintenance - Are change bars complicated?
Support - If you encounter any problems, is support helpful? Easy to access?
Fast to respond?

If you think you might be able to help, please contact me directly.

Thank you very much.

Irene Plokar

Irene Plokar, Senior Technical Writer
Virtual Prototypes Inc.,