Re: SUB: ADVICE FOR BEGINNING TECH WRITER

Subject: Re: SUB: ADVICE FOR BEGINNING TECH WRITER
From: Shannon L Downs <sl_downs -at- CCMAIL -dot- PNL -dot- GOV>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1993 11:26:00 PST

Jamie

I'm glad to hear that you already have some background in
tech writing. You have probably already noticed some major
differences between tech writing and journalism. I also have
a background in journalism and it was quite a jolt to learn
that a good portion of what I was taught as a journalist
doesn't apply to tech writing.

The first thing I had to do was learn to put my AP style
guide on a shelf, and leave it there! Then I had to revamp
my way of looking at documents.

I believe that no matter how many classes you take on a
subject, on-the-job training will teach you more in a week
than you can learn in a year at school. Each company has
its own style and publishing process. Although some may be
similar, no two are exactly alike.

Check with some of the larger corporations for entry-level
positions. Some have editorial assistant or publications
assistant positions that can provide you with the training
you need to move up the ladder. I started out as a
publications assistant a little over a year ago and am now
looking at a position as an editor within the next six to
nine months. I know the publications and clearance
procedures inside and out, as well as all of the different
formats used by various centers in the company.

As far as books that might be helpful. I have a collection
of reference books that ranges from a technical dictionary to
Hodge's Harbrace College Handbook. Other than that, I use
our company's style and publishing manual on a regular basis.

Good Luck!

Shannon

P.S. You're not alone, I'm also new to this list!