Re: Computer Literacy

Subject: Re: Computer Literacy
From: Karen Kay <karenk -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1993 16:21:49 PDT

CLoris said:
> A few other essential items are an understanding of both DOS and Windows
> environments; basic programming in pascal, C, or other language (not BASIC);
> Knowledge of Databases, spreadsheet, word processing, and page layout
> applications; the variety of input and output devices on the market; and basic
> networking. This may seem like a lot, but it is what you need to know in the
> end.

This may be what you need to know in the end, but I seriously doubt that
this is a good definition of computer literacy at the undergraduate level.

> Some of these skills are usually found in today's high school graduates
> (sometimes not) and only the missing skills need be taught.

I suspect that most college graduates haven't taken programming courses or
learned about page layout applications.

> A fluent knowledge
> of these subjects allows the technical writer to function uninhibited in
todays
> computer environment. Simply, if a carpenter does not know how to use his
> tools, he will not build a very sound house.

But the question was not "what defines computer literacy for a technical
writer?"! If it *were* the question, I think that this would come close.

-- Karen