Re: indexing software manuals

Subject: Re: indexing software manuals
From: Mark Woodward <mwoodwar -at- NYX -dot- CS -dot- DU -dot- EDU>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 1993 22:47:50 GMT

About a year ago, I got very interested in hypertext. As my interest
turned deeper, and I started asking around about how to make better
products, the subject of indexing came up time and time again. At first I
thought this odd, that the hypertext would not supercede this ancient
craft, but much to my amazement, it was exactly what I needed.

Now I am not much of an indexing expert, but the little bit of study that
I did in that area had the most profound impact of anything that I tried
with my hypertext products. It gave me a basis, or foundation on which to
build my work, and to be sure that nothing got left out, or overlooked, I
would keep a copy of the written index with me whenever I built hypertext.

Does anyone out there know of a good indexing text, I would like to learn
more, and don't really know much about the field,
Mark Woodward