TECH WRITER Job Listings

Subject: TECH WRITER Job Listings
From: awelden -at- SOSC1 -dot- SOSC -dot- OSSHE -dot- EDU
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1993 13:26:33 -0800

Here's a message that I received on another list that might be of interest:

From: bruceh -at- netcom -dot- com (Bruce Hartford)
Subject: TECH WRITER Job Listings (Contract/Staff) SF Bay Area [Writers Union]

The technical writers job hotline of the National Writers Union
lists many San Francisco Bay Area tech writing jobs (contract
and staff). We are currently listing 10 contract and 12 staff
jobs.

To hear a FREE description of these jobs, call (415) 979-5522.

The job bank is a non-profit cooperative effort organized by
working technical writers who are members of the National Writers
Union. Employers list their job openings on the hotline for free.
When union members are interested in a job, our coordinator gives
them the employer's name and phone number. Then the member
negotiates directly with the employer. The union does not act as
a middle man or broker. The union plays no role in the contract or
terms agreed to between the writer and the employer. When members
get a job through a hotline lead, they pay a finders fee of 12% of
the first four months income to keep the hotline operating. (Compare
that to brokers who usually take a third of what the employer pays
for the life of the contract.)

You must be an NWU member to obtain the contact information about
a job listed on the hotline. We are the trade union that covers
all working writers (journalists, book authors, poets, technical
and practical writers, etc.) except for those represented by the
Newspaper, Screenwriters, or Dramatists Guilds. In addition to
the job bank, the union provides many other services including
union health plan, career networking, publishers and agents
databases, and grievance handling (we've recovered more than
$800,000 owed to writers by publishers). We are a national union
with locals in 12 cities across the country. We have been in
existence for 10 years and we are affiliated with the UAW and
AFL/CIO. Union dues are on a sliding scale based on your writing
income, from a low of $35 for 6 months to a high of $150 per year.

For membership information, or to speak with Kenya Briggs, the
hotline coordinator, call (415) 474-5007.

National Writers Union, Local-3
236 West Portal Ave #232
San Francisco, CA 94127
Phone:(415) 474-5007
Fax: (415) 474-9302
E-mail: nwu3 -at- well -dot- sf -dot- ca -dot- us

NEXT MEETING

TECHNICAL WRITERS TRADE GROUP (NWU)

SPEAKER: Harry Norr, Editor-in-Chief, MacWeek Magazine
TOPIC: Writing for computer magazines

Wednesday, March 24, 7:30pm
Fireside Room: Palo Alto Cultural Ctr/Lucie Stern Ctr.
1305 Middlefield Rd.
Palo Alto, CA

Non-members are welcome to attend.
Bruce Hartford (Westwind Writers Inc.) National Writers Union
Phone: (415) 731-7826 Fax: (415) 681-5085 bruceh -at- well -dot- sf -dot- ca -dot- us