Re: Job Description - Thoughts?

Subject: Re: Job Description - Thoughts?
From: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: Emoto <emoto1 -at- gmail -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2020 09:42:06 -0800

If that approach succeeds, I blame the tech writer who takes the job for a "tech writer salary" that isn't equal to that of a developer.

By the time most startups even think about hiring a tech writer, the bulk of their development work has already been done. What they're hoping for is a writer who has enough experience and knowledge on the technical end to be able to generate usable instructions from nothing but an alpha or beta build and the code comments without having to be spoon fed input from developers who are frantically trying to find and fix as many of the remaining bugs that they can in time for release.

If you are able to fill out a bug report that actually identifies the code that causes an UI glitch you found while writing the user manual, you will be golden.

Gene Kim-Eng

On 2/24/2020 4:43 AM, Emoto wrote:

As I think about this listing, especially in the context of it being astart-up (do we hyphenate that?), my cynical side wonders if maybethey really want someone to do all the API and Network work who willalso write it up, and that they approach it from the tech writer sideto keep costs down. :-/
Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and content development | https://techwhirl.com