Re: Job Description - Thoughts?

Subject: Re: Job Description - Thoughts?
From: Helen OBoyle <hoboyle -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Lucy Draughn <ldraughn7 -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2020 23:12:04 +1100

Hi Lucy,

I'm confused. How do you get "male" out of that? Because it's specific
about technical skills and technical passion as well as about looking for a
writer who likes to write (and wouldn't just use the position as a back
door to development)?

As a technical woman, I have fought to be taken seriously for my technical
skills and enthusiasm in a gender-blind manner for years, and I didn't see
anything in that JD that turned me off. If anything, it intrigued me as the
kind of multi-hatted role I savor, that would utilize a broad spectrum of
my tech skills as well as my writing skills. Of course, that assumes the
role paid appropriately for the skills of an English-literate engineer.

I also saw nothing wrong with the JD clarifying that this was more than a
cutnpaste role. Perhaps you've had the good fortune of never encountering
people in the tech writer role whose duties do substantially involve
reformatting of existing product information, but they're out there in all
genders in surprising numbers. Being clear that they're looking for a
different sort of writer than that might help to narrow the applicant pool
to those more likely to be of interest.

Kind regards,

Helen.
Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and content development | https://techwhirl.com