Re: Looking for an onboarding term

Subject: Re: Looking for an onboarding term
From: Lauren <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2020 18:35:50 -0800

Yes. That is correct. The use of the word task in the lists illustrate the example that each line item is a task. The fact that you quote Tony and me, and now say that you were replying to another email has no relevance. The examples that use the word the "task" show that each line item is a task and may correctly be called a task. Your comment that the use of the word, task "seems like filler in the text of the list itself" is likewise, irrelevant, as that is not the topic of discussion.

On 1/14/2020 5:29 PM, Robert Lauriston wrote:

I was replying to the suggestion
Tasks.
Task 1 - Modify your email signature to include <department>
Task 2 - Set up access to ADP
Task 3 - Ensure familiarity with using Outlook web access
Task 4 - Review badge rules
Task 5 - blah, blah, blah.
On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 5:23 PM Lauren <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net> wrote:
On 1/14/2020 3:53 PM, Robert Lauriston wrote:
I'd call them "tasks" in introductory or explanatory material, but it
seems like filler in the text of the list itself.

â Get a cell phone, userid, and password from IT.
â Set up your voicemail (see <link> for instructions).
â Sign in to the company portal and enter your contact and personal
information as prompted.
â ...

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 3:33 PM Lauren <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net> wrote:
Tony, those are example line items for onboarding. What do you call the
line items for onboarding?

I think "tasks" is the most appropriate and I have seen it used. As I
said in my previous post, there may be a term more consistent with the
onboarding model being used that is more appropriate.
On 1/14/2020 3:19 PM, Tony Chung wrote:
How about:

- Welcome!
- Arrival Kit
- Level Up
- Preparatory Steps

-Tony
Yet, in an email discussion, it illustrates the point that the line
items, the category of which needs a name, are tasks. I am certain that
Mr. Posada does not need assistance with the nomenclature for his line
items.

Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and content development | https://techwhirl.com