Re: brainstorming - best practices ?

Subject: Re: brainstorming - best practices ?
From: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>
To: Monique Semp <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2018 18:26:28 -0700

Re: Brainstorming

The primary challenge to brainstorming involves getting all the players
into the same mindset at the same time. For example, you don't need
evaluators and judges when generating ideas, and you can't keep generating
ideas without reaching a consensus for feasible actions.

I would read any work by Edward De Bono
* Six Thinking Hats
* Teach Yourself to Think

You'll probably have enough with the Six Thinking Hats, which is a
well-documented process for a facilitator to lead a brainstorming session
by using metaphorical hats:

White: Facts - identify the problem we need to solve, the materials we have
to work with, the constraints, the people, the goals

Green: All ideas are welcome; the goal is quantity, the time for evaluation
is later

Yellow: Evaluate each idea from the perspective that "This could work
because...."

Black: Evaluate each idea from the perspective that "This won't work
because...."

Red: Decide on the ideas to try.

Blue: Facilitator and group ensure the process is followed.

You can read more here (but I don't know why the Yellow hat is listed
first):
http://www.debonogroup.com/six_thinking_hats.php

Cheers,
-Tony

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 4:51 PM, Monique Semp <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>
wrote:

> When I googled for best practices around brainstorming, I just got
> overwhelmed.
> I'm attending an STC meeting about brainstorming,
> [1]
> http://www.stc-siliconvalley.org/2018/04/04/april-16-2018-the-7-deadly-sins-of-brainstorming/
> ,

and have recently attended a frustrating and
less-productive-than-it-shoula-been
> session,

so I'm quite interested in the topic.