Re: substitute for GoToMyPC ?

Subject: Re: substitute for GoToMyPC ?
From: Monique Semp <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: Mike Starr <mike -at- writestarr -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2018 19:40:08 -0700

Yep, I know that there are all sorts of free tools. But given that I
want to minimize my time dealing with this, $60/year for Splashtop
seems a bargain. I'd quickly burn through that much "billable hour"
time on getting admin-tools to work. And since I do indeed bill my
clients by the hour, that's the math I do to decide if it's better to
buy something that is known to work easily vs. getting into Windows
admin (a la Remote Desktop, which I've used in the distant past before
vendors basically wrapped that functionality in their products)!
My most recent "free" experience was trying to get VirtualBox to work
on my MacBook to create a Windows 10 VM. After hours and hours of
frustration, spread over many days, I purchased Parallels for only $99,
and everything worked immediately :-).
Not trying to rain on your parade -- it's always good to know how to do
things from scratch because plenty of times one really needs a custom
solution.
So thanks for the input,
-Monique

On 4/10/18 7:32 PM, Mike Starr wrote:

Many years ago I did documentation for a VERY large corporation's
Global Windows Server Team that managed hundreds of Windows
computers. The team members used standard administrator-level tools
built into Windows to log in via their laptops to servers all over
the world. If you know any IT workers, you might be able to get some
insight into the types of tools they use. I think those tools were
all from Microsoft and free of charge.
Best Regards,
Mike