RE: Creating Technical Documents in Word

Subject: RE: Creating Technical Documents in Word
From: <mbaker -at- analecta -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2018 19:32:23 -0500

So if you were a surgeon and the hospital told you to do surgery with garden shears and an office stapler, you would do it, right?

Professionals are not mere subservients. They have their own professional standards and the right and obligation to insist on them.

Admittedly, the choice of writing tools is not quite so critical as the choice of surgical instruments, but, all the same, a professional is absolutely entitled to expect to be provided with appropriate tools and an appropriate working environment. If they don't get them, they are not working in a professional environment. Your particular financial circumstances may not allow you to insist on professional standards at some particular moment, but in the long run, insisting on professional standards is the way to prosper in your career and exercise an appropriate level of control over your working conditions.

Mark