Re: More natural language [Was: The Microsoft Style Guide is Online and Free]

Subject: Re: More natural language [Was: The Microsoft Style Guide is Online and Free]
From: "Peter Neilson" <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2018 08:19:36 -0500

I am tempted. I am so tempted.

"So like here's wat you do. You take, you know, the thing with the stuff on it. No, not that one. The other one with the yellow panel. You put in what you want, like the flavor of ice cream. Just not vanilla. Actually the hight, not the flavor. It sends it over the internets and you get it back. If you have trouble just call the help."

On Sun, 18 Feb 2018 07:23:30 -0500, Craig Cardimon <craig -dot- cardimon -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

That's the way things are moving. Go along to get along, as the saying
goes. When I started doing technical writing, I wrote in a terse manner.
"Just the facts, ma'am," as they used to say on the Dragnet TV show. Now
I'm writing in a much more friendly and conversational way, like I'm
coaching a friend as I sit next to him. The facts are still there, though.
They are being delivered with a smile instead of no expression at all.

On Sun, Feb 18, 2018 at 6:57 AM, Erika Yanovich <ERIKA_y -at- rad -dot- com> wrote:

"also a reimagining of Microsoft style-a tool to help everyone write in a way that's natural, simple, and clear"

Can you recommend other resources that describe this more modern tone? It seems a big deal lately.