RE: Pin the Tail on the Confluence PDF Image Bug

Subject: RE: Pin the Tail on the Confluence PDF Image Bug
From: Kevin Ryan <kryan -at- harriscomputer -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2018 18:25:34 +0000

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

I'm using Confluence's default PDF output, not the K15T Scroll plugin.

Thanks, Jessica. I do see some Atlassian articles different from the articles I've already seen on the Web, so I'll consult the Atlassian community site more often. I've added two PDF CSS tweaks related to confluence-embedded-file-wrapper/inline-block stuff, and this seemed to help somewhat, but I still need to go through a set of unnatural, non-intuitive steps to make sure that all my images 1) display at all and 2) display centered in my table cells in PDF.

Paul, the <br/> tags throughout the larger code for the entire page do not seem to correlate with the problem images. I'm using the Confluence Source Editor (a free add-on) to view the code. I would highly recommend it. I liked the Pearson confluence site you worked on.

Sharon, thanks for recommending the Scroll PDF Exporter. I've previously heard good things about it (such as that it delivers what people had hoped they were getting when they purchased the base Confluence). I'd like our Confluence users to be able to generate their own on-demand PDFs of individual Confluence pages, which appears standard (no plug-in required) via the ". . ." drop down. This is good. As admin I am also thinking of exporting entire page sets (entire guides) and providing that as an available attachment to those who prefer a guide PDF. I would like but suspect I will meet management resistance in purchasing the Scroll plugin.

Tony, my chewing-gum fix involves doing non-intuitive steps with 1) Left-Center-Right alignment and 2) Image size. I go to the Confluence cell (which shows the image centered just as I want it to be) and I then set the cell alignments temporarily to LEFT. Then I click the image to display its dialog, note the current size value, change that size by clicking the SMALL button, then re-enter the original size value (!!). I then re-center the alignment (!!). But I'm not done yet because the code still typically refuses to set all aligments to centered via the editor's alignment buttons. I go to the code editor and typically need to manually change the image's "text-align" to Center there. Believe it or not, this set of bizarre steps seems to work. Apparently it's the image centering I desire that triggers the bug, as left-aligned images seem less prone to problems.

Sharipunyon suggested I check different browsers. The problem and my strange fix both seem to apply equally in IE, Chrome, and Firefox.

For now, I've learned I need to do a paranoid "PDF Image check" on each Confluence page I create. But at least I've got a strange but effective series of steps to address the missing images.

Again, thanks everyone for your help.

Kevin

Kevin Ryan
Technical Writer, Research & Development
P: 802-865-1170x82412
F: 802-865-1171
E: kryan -at- harriscomputer -dot- com
426 Industrial Avenue Suite 140
Williston, Vermont
05495
www.ssivt.com
This message has been sent on behalf
of a company that is part of the Harris Operating Group of
Constellation Software Inc. These companies are listed at the
following link:
http://subscribe.harriscomputer.com
Unsubscribe Option:

If you do not wish to receive any future email, please unsubscribe
by clicking on the following link:
http://subscribe.harriscomputer.com
This message is intended exclusively
for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This
communication may contain information that is proprietary,
privileged or confidential or otherwise legally exempt from
disclosure. If you are not the named addressee, you are not
authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate this message
or any part of it. If you have received this message in error,
please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and delete all copies
of the message.