Pin the Tail on the Confluence PDF Image Bug

Subject: Pin the Tail on the Confluence PDF Image Bug
From: Kevin Ryan <kryan -at- harriscomputer -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2018 13:15:49 +0000

Resubmitting this message in text format â Is that what "content type not explicitly permitted" error calls for? If not, please clarify. Thank you.

Hi and Happy New Year,

My company is migrating our documentation from FrameMaker/PDF to Confluence 6.1.3. Iâm relatively new to Confluence (about 6 months) and just tested the âexport to PDFâ function to find that a bug exists where random law-abiding images that appear ok in Confluence pages and in Confluence-to-Word exports can be missing from âexport to PDFâ output. For example, I have a 30-row Confluence table that coordinates descriptions for our softwareâs function keys and GUI icons. The Confluence page has about 40 icon images living ostensibly happily in table cells, sometimes more than one icon per cell. When I export to PDF, only 8 of these images actually display in the PDF with the remainder having been somehow vaporized into white space.

I have the Confluence Source Editor so I can compare the code, but so far Iâve not been able to find an obvious code difference between the code for AWOL and non-AWOL pdf images (which is not to say there isnât a difference). I understand from Confluence issue posts that there is some issue with centering of images and Confluence not feeling obligated to PDF-render images formatted or aligned in ways that would be reasonable to expect from any other program.

Iâm muddling my way through correcting this file by a series of non-intuitive realignments and re-realignments along with image resizing followed by restoring my original image size. Does anyone have a simplistic rule of thumb to avoid this PDF image bug that I suspect may fall into the âAtlassian will never fix itâ category? Itâs a major nuisance to deal with this nonsense.

Thanks for any advice.

Kevin Ryan

PS. Here is an example of the code for two adjacent Confluence images, the first rendered ok in the PDF, the second one ignored.

IMAGE DISPLAYS IN PDF:
<ri:attachment ri:filename="ico_Inq_Device_Info.png"/>
</ac:image>

IMAGE DOES NOT DISPLAY IN PDF:
<ri:attachment ri:filename="ico_PROCESS_ASSIST_V6.png"/>
</ac:image>

Kevin Ryan
Technical Writer, Research & Development
P: 802-865-1170x82412
F: 802-865-1171
E: kryan -at- harriscomputer -dot- com
426 Industrial Avenue Suite 140
Williston, Vermont
05495
www.ssivt.com
This message has been sent on behalf
of a company that is part of the Harris Operating Group of
Constellation Software Inc. These companies are listed at the
following link:
http://subscribe.harriscomputer.com
Unsubscribe Option:

If you do not wish to receive any future email, please unsubscribe
by clicking on the following link:
http://subscribe.harriscomputer.com
This message is intended exclusively
for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This
communication may contain information that is proprietary,
privileged or confidential or otherwise legally exempt from
disclosure. If you are not the named addressee, you are not
authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate this message
or any part of it. If you have received this message in error,
please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and delete all copies
of the message.