Re: Ethics in Technical Writing

Subject: Re: Ethics in Technical Writing
From: Lauren <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 2 May 2017 12:59:35 -0700

On 5/1/2017 3:38 PM, Robert Lauriston wrote:

I'd verify whether the phrase was verbatim or some random jargon the
original poster made up before questioning their professional
competence or ethics.

I never suggested that anyone do that. I did ask if technical writers have a duty of ethics in writing. Technical writers on this list were focused on fixing grammar for an instruction that was unclear and few (or none) raised the issue of what would happen if the grammar changed the instruction. Clearly, the OP of the dubious phrase is out of the loop at this point, as I am asking general questions about ethics in technical writing, hence the subject line.

Absent that information, discussing ethics as if it were relevant to
the post seems rude to me.

I am not discussing the post. I keep wondering why you are latched on to the original post as though it is a part of the discussion of ethics in technical writing.

I don't know what your YouTube link was about, since it is a video. Perhaps you can provide a written summary.