Re: Structured stuff for the beginner

Subject: Re: Structured stuff for the beginner
From: Chris Despopoulos <despopoulos_chriss -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "mbaker -at- analecta -dot- com" <mbaker -at- analecta -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2017 12:11:31 +0000 (UTC)

So we're in violent agreement.Â

A priority of mine is to define the terms of what we do in ways that open our thinking about it. I'll insist that there is no necessary restriction of DITA to "traditional document structure". Outside of our thinking about it, and the language we use to express our thinking, that is. Sure there can always be something better. But digging in and doing it now helps flesh out the issues to inform that evolution.

One detail though... You don't necessarily need to add excessive metadata to your "record set". One idea behind DITA is that you render the same things differently, depending on the render context. In many cases, knowing the larger context, plus semantics (defList, ol, ul, glossary, etc.), is enough. This is especially true if you render at the last minute (dynamic rendering at request time).
Yes, sometimes you need to add special-case metadata at a finer level. But not always. And anyway, in my experience determining the data values to add in is the big issue... Squirting it into whatever markup is relatively trivial.