RE: Structured stuff for the beginner

Subject: RE: Structured stuff for the beginner
From: <mbaker -at- analecta -dot- com>
To: "'Chris Despopoulos'" <despopoulos_chriss -at- yahoo -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2017 07:16:51 -0400

Chris,

If you take a traditional document structure and add a bunch of subject domain metadata to it so that you know what is in each row and column, then is it no longer a traditional document structure. You have turned it into a record set. Perhaps it is a little more verbose in its markup than if you had set out from scratch to create a record set, but it is still a record set, and as such can be transformed into all kinds of things.

The key is to apply the appropriate metadata to the content so that you preserve the possibilities inherent in it. The syntax matters, in that a more verbose syntax is more overhead, but the fundamental properties are the same.

Can you do this in DITA? Yes. You moved your content to the subject domain in DITA, and that gives you the advantages of the subject domain. Congratulations. That's a good thing and I am glad to hear about it.

Is DITA the most elegant tool imaginable for doing this? No.

Do I think people using DITA should use features like these to move their content to the subject domain when it is beneficial to do so? Yes.

Am I happy to see DITA moving in the direction of providing greater support for working in the subject domain? Yes, absolutely. Getting people moving to the subject domain is my priority.

Do I acknowledge the value of using a widely-supported technology, even if it is not ideal in all its particulars? Yes.

Do I think DITA represents an end state of documentation technology beyond which no worthwhile development is possible or should be contemplated? No.

Mark