Fw: Windows VM on Mac ?

Subject: Fw: Windows VM on Mac ?
From: "Monique Semp" <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TechWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2017 08:45:47 -0700

Finally, success. I should've just bought Parallels to begin with.

After wasting hours and hours fighting with VirtualBox -- and never getting
the Mac keyboard's numeric keypad to work, having constant window resizing
issues, having lousy looking fonts in browser displays, and finding that
installing the VirtualBox Guest Extensions, which are required to enable
clipboard sharing and drag-n-drop between host and guest, destroys Windows
(that is, it seems to install ok, but then the next time you go to boot,
Windows must restore/repair itself) -- I installed Parallels, and everything
just works. It even detected my wireless printer.

And I've been amazed to receive quick (less than 2 minutes) callbacks from
Microsoft the two times that I've had to call to get my Windows to
(re)activate on the 2nd and 3rd tries I tried to create a new VM. (After the
first VirtualBox fiasco, I figured I'd caused the issues by changing a lot
of the Windows 10 defaults. So I junked that VM and started over. But of
course the Windows server rightly said that I'd already activated my Windows
10 Pro license. The call center immediately fixed things for me. Then when I
decided to try Parallels, of course I needed another reactivation.

Moral of the story: don't ever try to save $80 at the expense of hours and
hours of frustration. And although people are complaining about the yearly
fee for Parallels, I have no issue with it. They have to constantly deal
with changing conditions -- both Mac OS and Windows updates -- and how can
they have a paid engineering team if customers don't pay!

Fyi,
And my advice is to not bother with VirtualBox!
-Monique