RE: Git [was RE: Windows VM on Mac ?]

Subject: RE: Git [was RE: Windows VM on Mac ?]
From: "Janoff, Steven" <Steven -dot- Janoff -at- hologic -dot- com>
To: Michael McCallister <workingwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 23:03:22 +0000

You know, looking at GitBook, this makes me wonder... and maybe this has been dealt with before on this list... is this kind of the future of documentation?

In some ways it looks primitive compared to the professional docs a lot of us put out every day. And there is certainly room for design improvement -- information design and graphic design.

But you have to wonder if things will all go this way eventually. I suppose wiki docs are like this.

Mark Baker, what do you think?

Thanks,

Steve

On Tuesday, March 21, 2017 2:19 PM, Michael McCallister wrote:

Hey all,

For those of you who might want to play with Git, GitBook (
https://www.gitbook.com/) is a repository for random pieces of documentation. Up to five writers can collaborate on a single public-domain or open source project for free, Click the Explore tab to read current projects. Could be a place to test multi-writer conflict issues

I have not worked on a project here, though I've thought about it. The devs at work use Git for source control, and I do keep HTML, Word and PDF docs in my own repository, away from the code.

Manning publishing keeps a GitLab installation for its authors to use if they're so inclined. GitLab and GitHub are competing public Git repositories.

Cheers,
Mike McCallister

Mike McCallister
Available now: *Build Your Author Platform: The New Rules* <http://buildauthorplatform.com> (w/Carole Jelen) Notes from the Metaverse: http://metaverse.wordpress.com