Re: Git [was RE: Windows VM on Mac ?]

Subject: Re: Git [was RE: Windows VM on Mac ?]
From: "Peter Neilson" <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 15:10:24 -0400

On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 14:03:17 -0400, <mbaker -at- analecta -dot- com> wrote:

I think much of this comes down to the issue of loose coupling vs tight
coupling. Good coding practice is to create loosely coupled systems.

Yes, loose coupling and defined interfaces is best. Years ago I was coding in assembler and Fortran, and there were pieces of assembler code marked "DO NOT MOVE THIS CODE" and other pieces that should have been so marked, but weren't. The only saving grace was the source control--a locked cabinet of drawers where I stored the punched cards.

But if you take a very tightly coupled information set with tightly coupled
source file and throw it at a distributed source control system without
changing anybody's habits, you are asking for pain and suffering.

Indeed. I have been put into a situation where we all were to use SVN on our very loosely coupled FM docs. No two people were ever working on the same parts, and there was little cross-referencing. It was a pain, because having nearly zero version control would have been far simpler. Any time that something went wrong with SVN (and it did, all too often) we had to find the local SVN guru to unscramble it before we could do our work.

I have no idea what the difficulty was with the SVN internals. I've not yet had the opportunity to try Git.