RE: inline links (Re: Online help access question)

Subject: RE: inline links (Re: Online help access question)
From: <mbaker -at- analecta -dot- com>
To: "'Kathleen MacDowell'" <kathleen -dot- eamd -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2016 15:30:57 -0400

Kathleen, I very much agree that the focus should be on what people are attempting to do. That is, the task they are attempting to complete and the information they are attempting to find. No one is every trying to âuse the contentâ. They are trying to solve a problem and get some work done.

This is why a lot of the research I looked at in writing my book focused on information seeking behavior rather than the use of individual content artefacts. Key parts of this for me were Carrollâs research detailed in The Nurnberg Funnel and the Information Foraging theory out of Xerox Park. This research very clearly shows that information seeking behavior very typically crosses content boundaries, which is why studying the use of individual information products is of limited value. I also looked at the studies from the UX world that show that users have an ever increasing search-dominance in their information seeking behavior, a phenomenon that David Weinberger elegantly summed up as âInclude it all; filter it afterward.â It shows that people donât seek out individual publications but search broadly and then filter the results to try to find relevant bits of information.

This is not to say that any one type of information seeking behavior is universal. There are roles for many different types of information products to meet may types of information seeking behavior. (In the book, I had to justify why I was writing a book at all, given the argument I was making. But there is still a definite role for books for certain types of argument.)

Mark