Re: Job email rules and moderation prison

Subject: Re: Job email rules and moderation prison
From: Lauren <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2016 11:50:57 -0700

I've been on the list for about a decade; that's still a noob for some folks here. Way back when... back when we walked uphill in the snow both ways... people got moderated quite a few times after heated discussions about politics, racism, and other hot-button issues. Many of the topics that spurred moderation got banned. List members were put in moderation jail for about a month in many cases and some got permanent moderation status, while others got booted.

Being moderated "until we're all talking about the next Presidential cycle" is more of a prison and not a jail. It also seems excessive for what looks like an accident and not a serious indiscretion, aside from the spam link. Mailman mail cleanup is not a straight-forward process. I can understand why Al would be bothered by that. A simple rule violation that does not require cleanup might be easier to tolerate.

Just a note, back when Eric and Deborah had the list, people would sometimes get carried away. Al and Connie took over the list and I wished them luck, making comparisons of moderating the list to herding cats. In the past few years, the list has become more calm and mellow compared to its former self.

I think that reactions to the moderation policy should probably be tempered to avoid angry tones.