RE: Info in Headers and Footers

Subject: RE: Info in Headers and Footers
From: "Wright, Lynne" <Lynne -dot- Wright -at- Kronos -dot- com>
To: "Martinek, Carla" <CMartinek -at- zebra -dot- com>, TECHWR-L Writing <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2016 17:36:16 +0000

I'm particularly interested in your point about breadcrumbs; as in how useful are they for navigation in general... and in my case, where topics include a search bar and a row of menus in the top nav header, whether breadcrumbs are the least useful of those 3 navigational tools.

In my headers for PDF output, I just included the chapter number and title (for example: Chapter 2: Planning Sessions), to give users some idea of context whenever they are looking at a particular page; and a colored hairline horizontal rule underneath that runs across the page width. Since Flare doesn't provide a chapter title header variable, as a workaround, I created a different page layout for each chapter (which comprise left and right pages), and typed the text into the header frame; then I used Break Type settings in the pdf TOC to apply the correct page layouts to content for different chapters.

Footers contain just the page number (centered) and a horizontal rule along the top.