Info in Headers and Footers

Subject: Info in Headers and Footers
From: "Martinek, Carla" <CMartinek -at- zebra -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L Writing <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2016 17:11:30 +0000

If designing a template from scratch, what would you put in the headers and footers?

Consider that your documentation is distributed to users via PDF at this time.

1. What information do you really *need* in the headers and footers.

2. Do the users need "breadcrumbs" (e.g. chapter title, current topic title, etc.) in the header? (Consider they have bookmarks in the left column.)

3. Consider that the headers might be on a page that is neither left- or right-handed, but rather agnostic on pagination, because a user may only print a couple of pages, not the entire manual or even an entire chapter.

We're redesigning our templates, and looking for some good examples. IMO, I think less is better these days, even in a PDF. Feel free to share links to examples you like.

-Carla

- CONFIDENTIAL-

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, and may also be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not review, use, copy, or distribute this message. If you receive this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply email and then delete this email.