RE: Developments in the review cycle

Subject: RE: Developments in the review cycle
From: <mbaker -at- analecta -dot- com>
To: "'Kathleen MacDowell'" <kathleen -dot- eamd -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2016 13:17:01 -0400

Kathleen,

Actually, I would suggest that it is in the area of dangerous equipment that this approach is essential and has long been practiced. Of course, when we are dealing with potentially dangerous equipment the definition of âsufficient documentation for releaseâ is going to be different from, say, a smart phone app. But by the same token, the need to update documentation as new safety related information becomes available as a result of real world use of the equipment, is that much greater.

It is in this field that we have seen a documentation update mechanism in place for decades. In the paper era, this took the form of change pages, with manuals issued in binders, to allow for the insertion of changed pages, and often numbered by section, rather than consecutively, to allow for a logical page numbering scheme to be maintained when new pages were inserted. This was an information architecture explicitly set up in recognition that the manual was not finished when the product was issued.

Information about a product is created from the moment of its inception to the moment the last instance of it is retired. People need that information to get the best out of the product and to use it safely. The moment of product release is just one point in the history of information development about a product. That moment has certain specific information requirements associated with it, though these vary greatly from product to product and user to user.

The books-in-boxes model of documentation essentially says that there is only one information release for a product. There is nothing before the release, and there are no updates after. Documentation is finished at this point in the sense that there is a commercial decision to not add to it. But it is not finished in the sense that it includes all the high-value information about a product, since much of that information has yet to be discovered. (Also, some that is known may not be essential for release, and we donât have to hold up the release to get it published.)

In some cases, this model is outlawed by regulations that force the company to update documentation when critical new information becomes available. This is particularly true with equipment that is safety-critical or security-critical. But in many other cases, while it is legal, it is not commercially optimal, which is why we have technical support departments and maintain community forums.

But today we do not need to hand off ongoing information development to different groups or publish it separately from the documentation. We need a different definition of finished as it relates to our work and our role in the information development cycle of a product.

Mark