Re: PDF filenames - include release designation ?

Subject: Re: PDF filenames - include release designation ?
From: "Monique Semp" <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "Kathy Bowman" <Kath -dot- Bowman -at- au -dot- saabgroup -dot- com>, "TechWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 15:39:55 -0800

> I would use numeric for published versions and alpha characters for revisions. For your example above I would use:
'prodName1_Users_Guide.PDF and 4.5_prod_Name2_Users_Guide_4.5_A.pdf'
> Note that I have put the revision indicator immediately after the published number. I have also put it at the end of the file name, so in a file listing the revision copies would all be together and it is easy to see which is the latest revision in the list.
> When it is published, the revision alphas would be omitted and the suffix would increment to 4.6 (minor update) or 5.0 (major update).

? What's the difference between "published versions" and "revisions"?

Iâd be distributing the original docs and the revisions to end users. And so theyâll have the original release docs on their system in addition to the revised docs.

I like putting the release info and the revision info adjacent and at the end; it really helps in seeing all the available docs for a given product. But the downside is that people have to widen their Explorer/Finder window quite a lot to see the end of the filenames. As well, there are about two dozen component products/docs for a given release, so seeing them grouped with their release number first is what the users (well, our internal people who are asking for this; donât know what the end users think) are telling me they want.

(I donât mean to be nitpicky, but I am wondering if there is a typo or two in the examples you gave? the prodName1 PDF name doesnât have any release or revision info in it, so Iâm not super-clear on what the suggestion is...)

Iâm guessing that youâre suggesting that I omit any revision designation for a releaseâs original document?

Thanks much; Iâm sure thereâs good actionable ideas in the suggestion!
-Monique