Re: Ask for a raise? Or pack my bags?

Subject: Re: Ask for a raise? Or pack my bags?
From: Suzette Leeming <suzette -dot- leeming -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 15:38:50 -0400

I really like the advice of using regional averages as opposed to national
and I was also about to mention about posting anonymously.

Another thing you may want to consider is to approach HR and ask them (in a
non-confrontational manner) to re-evaluate your position and salary. It
seems that the title of Technical Writer is very limiting and not
indicative of the work you truly do. You can explain to them that you
understand an increase of that amount is not feasible, but suggest a
staggered increase; 20% immediate, 10% after six months, another 10% after
12 months, etc. to get you to where you should be.

In the past, when working for companies that didn't like to give decent
increases, I have negotiated other benefits such as:
* working from home - saves on gas & car insurance
* title - re-positioning for future opportunities
* reduced work week - same money, less hours
* increased vacation

It all depends on how much those benefits are worth to you.

Good luck!

Suzette Leeming