Re: Ask for a raise? Or pack my bags?

Subject: Re: Ask for a raise? Or pack my bags?
From: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "RaphaelWorkman -at- comcast -dot- net" <raphaelworkman -at- comcast -dot- net>, TECHWR-L Writing <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 12:17:41 -0700

It's always a risk to your job security to ask for something you don't have. The question is how big a risk and how bad you would really feel about having to change jobs.

Forget the national average. You need to know what the market is where you actually are, for writers with your level of experience working in the same industry you are in.

If it does turn out that $60k is a viable salary goal for you, you probably need to look for a new position. The chances that your current employer is going to double your salary for any reason are probably nil.

Gene Kim-Eng

On 6/22/2015 4:31 PM, RaphaelWorkman -at- comcast -dot- net wrote:

Hello tech writers:

I don't know where else to turn for advice.

Is it a risk to my job security to ask my supervisor or an HR employee for a raise or work from home privileges? I earn an anonymous amount of money between $36K and $38K annually. I was hired 3.5 years ago at $32K. I just found out the national average is around $60K.

Learn more about Adobe Technical Communication Suite (2015 Release) | http://bit.ly/1FR7zNW