Re: Freelance, contract part-time

Subject: Re: Freelance, contract part-time
From: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 10:42:49 -0700

I'm at the opposite end of my career, and I'm doing it because I don't need or want to work full time anymore but growing tomatoes and planning the layout for my mini-orchard isn't quite enough activity for me yet. And a little spare cash to actually pay for the trees isn't so bad, either.

I'm concentrating on small firms that haven't ever had a writer and may never have enough work to hire one full time. A few years back I did a year at one of those big corps that had fired en masse and replaced with contractors, and I don't ever want to do that again if I can avoid it. Not because it was a bad gig for me, but because it was a real downer working with the remaining direct hire employees and seeing how bad their morale was. Only take a contract like that if you're really hard up or you're the kind of person who enjoys watching starving people in a famine zone trying to survive by eating grass,

Gene Kim-Eng
Adobe TCS 5: Get the Best of both worlds: modern publishing and best in class XML \ DITA authoring | http://adobe.ly/scpwfT